Monday, June 23, 2008

Episode 4

Another fun week. I'm enjoying this season. No cerebral games yet, much more action oriented. Maybe this is what they meant when they said they wanted to simplify the season so more folks would understand it. However, I'm still enjoying the episodes thus far. I would like to see some thinking games however.

Who is the Mole? As I have noted many times, the Mole has to sabotage...and has to do so actively, I believe. So, when someone costs money, it's either because they: 1. Are the Mole. 2. Are pretending to be the Mole. 3. Are just physically unable to complete the task. Or, 1 and 3 together, I suppose.

I had a number of people who have told me that Victoria "appeared" to be the Mole. Well, the problem is that she never did any active sabotage. None. If the producers are playing the game...as, well, the way I think it should be played, she could not be the Mole. And, clearly she isn't!

Alex: A good player. Absolutely no sabotage. I don't care how mysterious or controlling you appear to be, if you don't actively sabotage, I do not see you as the Mole. Played well tonight, made money.

Craig: Again, I've had lots of folks say he is the perfect Mole: likeable and apparently above suspicion. The only sabotage he has done is apparently secondary to his physical condition. Losing money by passivity does not a good Mole make. I do not believe he is one. Gutted it out tonight, made money. I can't see him pretending to have hypothermia so he could go to the hospital so he would not have to turn his journal in.

Paul: Continues to be irritating, but continues to play the game well. Is his ability to get under everyone's skin a molish quality? Maybe. He certainly disrupts the game. But, I see no active sabotage. Played well tonight, no money lost. Not the Mole.

Kristen: Did a great job tonight. Played hard, made good money, no apparent sabotage. Based on her performance 2 weeks ago I still have her on my list, but she needs cost more money before I will pin the Mole hat on her.

Mark: Again, some sabotage in the first 2 weeks, cost some money, and has to remain on the radar. Actually, his anger at losing his journal makes him more suspicious to me, but he cost no money this week, other than leaving 4 bricks to carry the scale. But, that did cost a little money. He has to remain on the mole radar, but as a dim blip at the moment.

The big 2 this week are Nicole and Clay. Clay cost money in both events last week, and again tonight. He carried far fewer bricks up the hill than he could have, 3 fewer than Kristen. While she is Amazon-like, he should be about to carry gold about; after all, he is a lawyer and should be used to that sort of thing. Then, he fought for the exemption, when clearly he had not earned it. Again, a good molish act...both depriving the others of the exemption and disrupting the game some. I'm liking Clay more and more.

Nicole: No one has done more to disrupt the game or attempt to cost money than her. She carried few bricks, but did finish. Her performance at dinner was guaranteed to cost the team money, not make it. Then she really made no effort to try to figure out who had written about her. If she is the Mole she is playing it more obviously than anyone ever has. Absolutely can't discount her, however.

So, this week, Clay and Nicole, in that order, with Mark and Kristen still in the distance!

Bill
The Mole II

4 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Bill - I am enjoying reading your comments about this season's Mole. I was a huge Mole fan from the start, so I am very excited to be reading your blog!

I don't think this season's Mole is as good as your season (season 2) so far, but we'll see. I feel like the show had much more intrigue and mystery when you were on the show :)

Please keep writing. And btw, I am going to post a link to this blog on the ABC.com mole forums, so expect some traffic ;)

 
At June 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM , Blogger green said...

Thanks for the link, maxx! I've been looking forward to reading Bill's thoughts on this season!

Bill, you raise some interesting points. Nicole is still on my list, although I don't associate her actions in this episode with someone carrying the title of The Mole. Unless, of course, her Mole strategy is to make others believe that she is trying too hard to look like The Mole. In episode 3, someone made a comment about this.

Another strange thing about Nicole are her picks for Mole each episode. She suspects people who are executed later in the episode. Coupled with the Marcie ordeal (where Marcie stated that Nicole could be The Mole during her quiz, but it was revealed in a post-execution interview with realittvworld.com that she had voted for Bobby and Clay), it appears as though the editing team is hiding something from us.

Mark is a very close second in my mind. Prior to this episode, he was about 50/50 for the amount of money he helped win and lose. I've noticed three instances of forshadowing in the editing. The first came in episode 1 or 2 when someone stated that Mark tries too hard and couldn't be The Mole. The second instance came in episode 3 when, after discussing Bobby's strange behavior, Clay states that he could be in a coalition with The Mole. The third instance came in tonight's episode when, while talking about Craig, Victoria says that a good strategy for The Mole would be to appear to try really hard in the missions.

Keep up the writing, Bill!

 
At June 24, 2008 at 1:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bill
I was wondering if there was money involved for being the mole?
and how much if so

 
At June 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

likewise, i have declared clay as my primary suspect from day 1 and he continues to alert me with his pensive and strategic game play.
Craig was my #2 however, i feel i am drifting away from him and adding suspects like kristen and mark as the three. I truly believe Nicole is not the mole, and if she is, i have been beautifully misled.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home